We are so excited to have you as part of the Dorm Suite Dorm family! At Dorm Suite Dorm, we want to help you create and design the BEST dorm room possible. Enjoy our college tips on life and decor here in our blog. Caio.


Wednesday, October 7, 2009

For Four Years...

Night before last the senior Chi Omegas took our NEW HOOTIES (or freshman pledges) to dinner. This was so fun! Typically, seniors in the sorority are so far removed (they live off campus, focused on graduation, graduate school, jobs, weddings, moving, and already have made their close friends) that it is rare for them to get to know the freshman pledges. I remember when I was a pledge, the seniors actually intimidated me! And I don't get intimidated hardly ever! For serious. The seniors just seemed so old and knew the ropes so well, I wanted to be like that. And I thought I would never get to that point. So, in an effort to close the 3 year gap, senior pledge class 2009 (last year) thought of the idea to bring the freshmen out to dinner. They paired up pledges with seniors to ride together and sit together at the restaurant. We decided to do that again this year and it went so so well. I have gotten great feedback from both seniors and freshman (since I planned it this makes me even happier)! I know that I personally loved talking to them and investing some time in the pledges. I want them to be comfortable talking to me and I don't want to be intimidating!! After all, I am their new sister :) A few weeks ago I ran into a Chi Omega that was a senior when I was a freshman. We had a short conversation (about mi casa, New Orleans), she looked me straight in the eyes, but still had no idea who the heck I was, much less that I was a sorority sister. ha! This made me laugh. However, it also made me realize, that though it was unintentional, I do not want that to be me with our new hooties this year! I know that I cannot (because I do not have the time during the day) get to know all 50 pledges; however, I would love to get to know as many as I possibly can!

If you are a pledge/new member this year, how is the situation for you with the seniors? Have they made an effort to know you or are they too far removed, distant and intimidating?

Advice for pledges-You too make an effort to get to know the upperclassmen. Don't let them intimidate you. They may not show it well; however, they already love you and would love nothing more than for you to walk up to them, introduce yourself and have a conversation. Be daring. Get out of your comfort zone. We can both learn from each other :)

No comments:

Post a Comment