We are so excited to have you as part of the Dorm Suite Dorm family! At Dorm Suite Dorm, we want to help you create and design the BEST dorm room possible. Enjoy our college tips on life and decor here in our blog. Caio.


Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Directionally Challenged

Ok, so today I had a working lunch with my boss at Dorm Suite Dorm (Sheri) and her sister (my previous boss, Vikki. Funny I know). We ate in downtown Birmingham at Urban Standard. (So good. Eclectic atmosphere. Cool vibe. Great food. Totally recommend it if you are in the Ham.) Anyways, I got completely LOST! What else is new in my life?? A simple, "It is on 2nd Ave N between 23rd and 24th Streets" did nothing for me. NOTHING! I walked around looking like a tourist in the city I have lived in for the past 3 years and, not to mention, an idiot. And... I have a GPS on my phone.

Directionally challenged is what I like to call it. It just sounds so much better than "No Sense of Direction" or "Bad with Directions" or just plain "Dumb." ha! May I HIGHLY encourage everyone who is driving and moving to a new (and unknown) city to invest in a GPS. Whether that be on your phone or in your car or mobile (can be put in your car or in other peoples' cars), get one! They prove to be fabulous Christmas presents parents.

My freshman year of college, I moved to a NEW city (Birmingham, AL) without having any knowledge of the town and no GPS. Talk about mistake! I got so so so lost and ended up in really sketchy areas of town (or other towns when I went out of town) a LOT! It happened so much that my parents got me a GPS for Christmas. Well the following Spring Break, my roommate, good friend and I decided to go to Atlanta, GA, Clearwater, FL, Orlando, FL, and then back to Birmingham. I am not proud to admit, but we did not listen to Genie (my GPS) because I was one of the first students to have one and we didn't know better. THUS, we ended up driving 20 minutes from Chattanooga, TN instead of Atlanta, GA. Don't even ask me how. I think we missed a turn or a merge or something. But we got penalized for not listening to Genie and NEVER AGAIN have I not listened to her. Whew! Talk about wasting time and gas!

All that being said, get yourself a GPS and listen to it! haha! They are worth every penny and will save you a lot of heartache, stress, time, gas, frustration and keep you safe.

Happy Travels College Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment